Wednesday, January 9, 2013

What's in a Name?

All 4 in one shot

Naming kids is a hard task.  There is a whole realm of things that you have to take in to account.  How can any name be turned in to an unpleasant nickname?  How does it sound for a child AND an adult?  Will I still like it in a couple of years?  It's a lot to consider.  I'm glad that Matt was big on helping me name our kids because I can't imagine having to do it alone.

Here are our kids names and a little about how they came to be. 

Laurie Ava
For us, naming Ava was easy.  We talked about baby names before we were ever pregnant.  We were those type pf planners.  We had a boy name and a girl name already decided on before we ever saw the positive pregnancy test.  We picked Laurie Ava for our first born daughter.  They aren't family names. They are simply names we loved.  And they suit her.


**I have to preface the triplets names by saying we had once again already decided on a girl name and a boy name before learning that we would soon {too soon} welcome 3 babies.

Hazel Frances
Hazel was the name we had picked for our potential next girl.  We loved the name and that it was an old name.  We like old names.  It also happened to be Matt's paternal grandmother's name.  We had such a hard time deciding on a middle name for her but finally decided on Frances, my maternal grandmother's name and the name of the sweet nurse from our fertility office who was always such an encouragement to us. (My grandmother has since passed away and I just know she is taking care of my little Hazel for me.)

David Matthew, Jr. {Hew}
Hew's name was our name for our potential boy.  He is named after his Daddy.  I had a teacher in high school that her son was a third and they called him Hew off of Matthew and I LOVED it.  And it just so happened that I married my very own Matthew and was able to have my very own Hew.  :)

Hollyn RoseAnn
Bless her heart...Hollyn's name was the only name undecided when we got the news that we were having triplets.  And it just so happened that both of the names we had decided on for our potential boy or girl started with the letter H.  We tossed names back and forth for a few weeks when Matt found Hollyn.  We fell in love with it and that it wasn't a common name but it isn't too out there in uniqueness.  Her middle name is a combination of both of our moms (and Matt's maternal grandmother's) names.

We love our kiddos names!

What are your kids names?  Any fun stories to go with them?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing that! I love how your kiddos names came about.

    I have a Jackson Jay. We were having a terrible time picking his name and one day in the car my husband said Jackson and I liked it. Turns out Jack was his grandfathers name and Jay....both of our middle initials are J and Jay just flowed. We never shorten Jackson, he is just a Jackson to us.

    We also have a Zachary John. Zachary because we liked it, and several of our other favorites shouldn't be used out of respect and other reasons. (Daniel was a stillborn baby of Nicks sister. Nathan, my cousin named his boy that about a month earlier and lastly Andrew, happens to be our boss's name AND we didnt want to have Andrew Jackson as a presidential reference) His middle name John is in keeping with the middle J and we grabbed a name from my my side of the family. It is my maternal grandfathers middle name. We shorten Zachary to Zach ALL THE TIME. No idea why the difference in thinking - we just do and it fits him too. Plus it helps to have the Zach, Zachary, Zachary John to pull out when hes in trouble :)

    We love our kids names too!

    ReplyDelete