Thursday, July 18, 2013

First Day of Speech Therapy

This was where Hollyn was moments before the therapist arrived. Silly girl!

Today was our very first speech therapy appointment. I was a little leery about how it would go because Hew and Hollyn usually tense up around strangers. It did go better than I expected though. They played a little bit with her but didn't do much talking. Most of the time was spent doing their evaluation which more involved me answering a million questions times two. :) 

We are only doing monthly visits right now so a good bit of the work lands on me. I'm ok with that seeing as we already are a home"schooling" family. I am racking my brain and searching the Internet for lots of ideas to help us. Those that have done speech therapy...what are some of your favorite activities, apps etc for encouraging vocabulary. We do a lot of narrating and read a good bit but lend me your ideas, please! 

And just because I can't resist sharing this picture...here is Ava reading to the babies. She's such a good big sister. 


1 comment:

  1. Z's problem was lack of muscle stabilization in his jaw. His jaw and toungue would wander around as he was talking (not noticible to anyone but a trained therapist). So far our homework was more muscular. Blowing bubbles. blowing on a party favor (the kind that roll out and then back up). Biting something like a gummy worm on the side of his mouth. Picking up cheerios one at a time with his tounge from the table (not my favorite....bad manners). He also understands everything we say so we had to shorten our phrases for him. And then repeat what he says with one or two more descriptive words. Our next homework was for the grocery store....I hate the grocery store....showing him a card with a pic of a banana and having him find it and name it. (havent done it yet)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete